1 lb. onion (I used mostly sweet, with a little red onion)
2 T. butter
1/4-1/2 cup dry sherry
6.5 cups beef broth (I use Better than Bouillon+water)
1. Caramelize onions in butter. The longer, the better.
2. Add sherry once onions are caramelized. Cook until liquid is reduced.
3. Add broth and seasonings.
4. Cook until onions are tender and flavors are developed.
5. Top with bread (I used sourdough that I had toasted earlier) and Swiss cheese.
6. Put under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.